Thursday, June 13, 2013

Funnies from the European trip part one



Funnies from the European trip

Well it’s time to confess some of the weird and wonderful happenings.
I live in Texas where there is no public transport soooo I only take public transport overseas. I did grow up with it and it doesn’t intimidate me, although being in another country and not speaking the language can get a bit tricky at times. Still I was going with my hubby on a trip of a lifetime to Europe to have fun and fulfill a few dreams. He poor guy was going to work.
We often use the Metro, or subway or bus or whatever when overseas and off we went. But this time I was alone part of the time and well a girl can’t be too careful. I mean I did grow up in South Africa on the lesser side of town half my life and well careful is good. My Aunt lived in Zimbabwi and they weren’t allowed to use or carry guns and so she taught us to carry hairspray. It burns when sprayed in the eyes and will give you the few seconds advantage. So off I went with my very small can in my pocket. The added advantage is they don’t know what the can is off should you have to pull it out.
 I travelled many a day into and around foreign metros, around the town walking on my own and felt fine about it. Then came the day we went to Giverny. A huge dream of mine. Yes I am a painter as you all know and what could be more amazing than going to where Claude Monet lived and painted. We caught the train from Paris and went to Rouen for the morning and had a wonderful time seeing where they kept Joan of Arc and all the wonderful old buildings, the museum and it’s impressionist collection and passing display as well. We also saw the hotel Astrid yes you read right I was very excited to see it.
 Then back on the train to Vernon and off to catch the bus to Giverny. Being the good child that I am I saw the signs for wearing your seat belt so decided to comply. I whipped it up and over my lap and click.
I froze then yelped. Mark says I, I have something cold and wet and smelly running down my leg. He just laughed and was no help at all. Do you know how hard it is to undo a seat belt when you are trying to be quick and squirming and laughing. Yep you guessed it. I had managed to jam the can of hairspray between the belt and my leg spewing hairspray all down the leg. Did I mention it was cold and rainy that day. Luckily it did not smell tooo much and I didn’t have an asthma attack or chase off the rest of the bus.   Will tell you the inside pocket and section of my rain jacket was stiff as a board. Also as Mark remarked I did have a small section of my leg rewaxed, when I tried to unglue it from my leg later.
Moral of the story keep the can of hairspray in your pocket but make sure it is not trapped when putting on your seat belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment