Sunday, July 24, 2011

Church what is it?


Church what is it

I just read a friend Robin’s blog and it sparked a serious thought
I don’t have a church building or denomination that I belong to BUT
I do have a church family. Being weird the way I am it is not surprising to find there are many denominations in my family some I am not sure of even but I know what they believe.
I think it is very important to have both fellowship and accountability and that is often the main reason we need to be sure to be plugged into a church.
But I have friends in many countries, who are Spiritual mentors to me. Some are missionaries and some pastors and pastors wives and then prayer warriors. I also have favorite teachers some of whom range from Baptist to Church of Christ and one or two I am not even sure which denomination they are but you see, I have learned we can’t cage God. God can and does speak through many folks in many denominations. As I commented on his blog my local Methodist church has things I don’t really like how they do. In fact I disagree completely yet one of my mentors is Methodist just not in this country so the beliefs are a tad different there. Less permissive shall we say.
These folks do hold me accountable and are not afraid to ask the hard questions in my life. Not all are far away some live very close, some half a world away but all are faithful and lovingly watch and call me on things.

Then there is the fellowship aspect and yes I go to bible studies locally and so get face to face and hug to hug fellowship. But I also have fellowship on Skype and even through emails and Facebook.
 I guess I am learning that God is more flexible than we give Him credit for. We shouldn’t be surprised as if He was willing to die for us why wouldn’t HE be willing to use a computer.
 Music is a big way of how God talks to me as well. A song will “bite” me and get my attention and send me searching for what God has to say on that score. One such incident was when I was searching and feeling very frustrated at how bible studies often show what God does for us. In other words I was feeling they were all about us, not so much about God. Then “I was made to Love” by Toby Mac, which says, “I was made to love You, I was made to find You, I was made just for You, made to adore You,” and I was suddenly hit by those words and said yes that is the right way around. Then a friend pointed me to the book by Max Lucado called “it’s not about me” and it all started making sense and God and I went searching and finding where He wanted me to be.
I love a few bible teachers and many authors mostly the ones that send me digging deeper into Gods word.
  Then I have the local group of sisters who are so precious to me some in my bible study and some from other churches and my Tea ladies. Friends who are too close to just be friends. So all in all I am blessed and feel I am where God wants me mostly because He is still working in me and teaching me so therefore as the word says He must love me.
It does say He disciples those he loves
(Pro 3:12)  The LORD corrects those he loves, as parents correct a child of whom they are proud.

Therefore I am content to be here for now until God leads me to another place.

3 comments:

  1. Mummmmm very deep, very true and are our precious friends not earth angels here to guide and support us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh great, I have managed to become a follower and I have managed to find you by clicking on your link and I can send you a message - looking good my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete